Monday 19 January 2015

Fourpure IPA

Fourpure IPA
Style: IPA
Alcohol Content: 6.5%
From: Bermondsey, London, United Kingdom
Purchased from: Corbetts Real Ale Shop, Dorking, Surrey
http://www.fourpure.com/

As time goes by I have learnt that life is full of ups and downs. After finally booking our holiday to Chicago, Emma and I decided to watch the Oscar nominated; The Theory of Everything. After being blown away by Eddie Redmond's performance as the Stephen Hawkings, I was promptly brought down to earth by the news that my beloved Nan had past away. Saddened, I shut myself away for a few days to mourn and reflect on her truly remarkable life. If I'm being honest with myself, she was one of the main drivers of me writing this blog. She could see the passion in my eyes when it came to all things craft and she encouraged me to keep on writing even when I didn't feel like it. I certainly owe a lot to that beautiful women, so I dedicate this blog to her. Cheers Nan. Gone but never forgotten.

Fourpure is a London (Bermondsey) based family brewery founded in 2013 by brother Dan and Tom Lowe (no relation to Rob Lowe I hasten to add). They currently offer a range of six core beers including an Oatmeal Stout and a session IPA. As of 2014 they were the first UK based craft brewery to start canning their core range. Fourpure cites the enhanced protection from light, superior seal and lower environmental impact as the reason for this decision. Personally, I feel that canning helps to keep the beer fresher for longer, ensuring you get brewery fresh beer wherever you are. The subject of this review is this canned IPA.

Fourpure IPA

Colour: Pours a light copper or light orange colour complete with a bubbly white head that's around three finger digits deep. As the beer settles, the remaining foam lingers and clings to the glass perfectly.

Aroma: Imagine, walking though a Scandinavian pine forest after a spring shower. Now if you could bottle those aromas, you would not be to far away from the perfume this beer provides. Heady notes of pine and freshly cut grass dominate. These notes blend perfectly to ensure the nose is extremely well balance.

Body: For me this beer verges on becoming a double IPA due to its alcohol content and its sweetness. This sugariness helps to add a real depth to the mouthfeel, coating your tongue with sweet resin on every sip. From start to finish this IPA drinks incredibly smoothly. Tip top stuff.

Taste: Your first sip will reveal notes of juicy pineapple and mango, promptly followed by a rich, sticky caramel that lingers from start to finish. As the drink warms, hints of tart blackberries begin to appear, which helps to cut though the caramel sweetness. The finish is very dry and you can really taste the hop oils from the Cascade, Chinook and Centennial hops. Personally, this IPA verges to close to the sweet side for my taste. Perhaps the addition of a the Citra hop might cut though the sweetness but that's just my opinion.

Fourpure IPA

For the latest news on reviews follow me on twitter @beefsbrewery or like me on Facebook at Beefsbrewery 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;