Thursday 23 October 2014

Weird Beard And Electric Nurse Bearded Nurse

Weird Beard And Electric Nurse Bearded Nurse
Style: Barley Wine
Alcohol Content: 10.2%
From: Hanwell, London, United Kingdom
Purchased From: Purchased from: Real Ale Shop, Twickenham, United Kingdom

Barley wine is my favourite style of beer- it's rich, dark and nicely full-bodied. So when I was having a hunt around the Real Ale shop in Twickenham, I was dead chuffed to find this Barley Wine by a brewery I already know and love; Plus, I love the label with the little skull face and nurses' hat (such a girlish thing to say!).

Weird Beard hail from Hanwell in West London which makes them a local-ish Brewery- it was formed by two chaps with a passion for both beer and beards! The craft brewery is known for their experimental style and this Bearded Nurse is no exception. It is a collaboration with their friends at Electric Nurse, who had in their words "a malt bill for a killer Barley Wine" and then they threw in their favourite hops to boot; Pacific Gem and Amarillo. I like the sound of that! This is the kind of drink you know has to be sipped slowly at 10.2% volume, so i'll leave it out the fridge to warm up, and help myself to a slice of homemade Courgette cake.

Bearded Nurse


Colour: This drink pours a reddish-brown, like that of a peach skin. When held up to the light you can see through it. Actually, it looks like I've just poured myself a massive glass of whiskey (especially as the head dissipates as quick as flash).

Aroma: Potent notes of whiskey, caramel and smoky peat dominate the nose. However on the second whiff, out come the smells of a gorgeous banoffee pie with a delicious buttery, biscuit base. Yum! My mouth is salivating!!

Body: I would describe this beer as medium to full bodied, as it coats the back of the tongue nicely. Due to the lack of carbonation, this slips down far too easy (need to watch out for that!). However, with each and every sip, the alcohol is becoming more and more overpowering.

Taste: To start with, it's like a boozy Banoffee pie - it's absolutely gorgeous. All the flavours come through at different times so that you can really appreciate them on the tongue. The flavours are bold and beautiful with a warming, spicy depth to them. The biscuity, malty favours then subside and as I keep sipping, the alcoholic content becomes slowly overwhelming. Towards the end of the bottle, I feel as though I am drinking a short and my tongue has gone dry. It's a real shame as the other flavours of this beer are not strong enough to hold up against its alcoholic volume. Quite frankly I'm struggling to finish it so I'll have to see if Kev fancies a sip!

Bearded Nurse

Different to: http://beefsbrewery.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/dark-star-espresso-beer.html

For the latest news on reviews follow me on twitter @beefsbrewery or like me on Facebook at Beefsbrewery

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;