Monday 13 October 2014

Lagunitas IPA

Lagunitas IPA
Style: India Pale Ale
Alcohol Content: 6%
From: Petaluma, California, USA
Purchased From: Purchased from: Beer Boutique, Putney

Over the past few weeks, my liver has taken one hell of a pounding. Two beer festivals and one craft beer night later, I am constantly finding myself reaching for a daily Paracetamol. Whilst I enjoy drinking the beer at the time,  I'm also starting to feel the effects more the day after. I guess my metabolism is not the same as it once was or perhaps it’s the fact that I'm drinking stronger beers more often. After looking through my beer cupboard, I noticed the average ABV was 8%.  Lordy, I can remember a time when the highest beer I ever drank was a 5 percent Carlsberg Export. That being said, the pain is worth it. After two years of blogging  my curiosity and enthusiasm to discover new beer styles has yet to waiver. No Pain, No Gain as they say.

Founded in 1993 by Tony Magee in Lagunitas, California, the brewery quickly outgrew its original home and a year later moved to Petaluma, California.  Maintain that rapid momentum, Lagunitas has almost quadrupled its output between 2004 to 2010, rising from 27,000 barrel per annum to 106,000 per annum during this period. In 2012, Lagunitas announced plans for a new Chicago based brewery with a barrel capacity of 600,000 per annum whilst also investing 9.5 million dollars in order to  increase production at their Petaluma site to a similar level. The Chicago brewery finally opened its doors in April 2014, complete with an onsite tap-room. Great news considering I will be heading over to the States for my 30th birthday. Cheers all!

Lagunitas

Colour: Pours a warm orange/copper, complete with a bubbly white head. This head lingers for the duration, lacing the glass perfectly on every sip.

Aroma: Hints of perfectly blended kiwi, mango and lime present themselves instantly. It's almost like an exotic fruit salad that has been drizzled in sweet honey. The citrus notes slowly mellow to give way to delicate hints of earthy resinous hops. The perfect perfume for an IPA.

Body: Lordy, this drink is oh so smooth it's almost like you are drinking a pint of pure velvet. The carbonation is perfectly balanced against the sweetness of the hop oils to ensure a refreshingly pleasurable drinking experience.

Taste: Hints of beautifully fresh mangos are promptly followed by notes of a dry, hobnob biscuit. Hints of smooth honey and warming alcohol will become more prominent as the drink warms. These flavours add to the refined smoothness of this beer and the mildly bitter aftertaste helps to round out the flavour perfectly. In my opinion, this is one of the most polished IPAs on the market. Perfectly balanced in all areas, ensuring that both novices and beer connoisseurs go home happy. Great stuff!

Lagunitas


For the latest news on reviews follow me on twitter @beefsbrewery or like me on Facebook at Beefsbrewery

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;