Tuesday 2 September 2014

New Holland Brewing Dragon's Milk

New Holland Brewing Dragon's Milk
Style: Bourbon Barrel Stout 
Alcohol Content: 10%
From: Holland, Michigan, United States
Purchased from: Great British Beer Festival
Being deeply in love with someone means that you take on a little bit of them, and in my case, their interests and love of craft beer. And this is how I now find myself, spending my rainy bank holiday Monday getting rather excited about cracking open a bottle of bourbon barrel stout. It's certainly not something that I would of caught myself doing a year ago, I can tell you!

Just over a week ago, we spent a boozy (yet well-paced) day at the Great British Beer Festival. We sampled many a delicious beverage and I decided to bring back little treat for myself for later. Having a particular penchant for the darker, more alcoholic varieties of beer, I settled on a bourbon aged stout called 'Dragons milk' from New Holland Brewing. I squeezed the little bottle into my purse and dreamed of day i would enjoy the beverage. Yum!

However, upon delving a little deeper into the secrets of this Dragons Milk- it turns out that I haven't brought back an authentic Dutch beer at all, but a US beer from Holland in Michigan State! Kevin always said I never was any good with geography! This little beauty has been brewed by a couple of American chaps who first met in college and had a passion for their own home-brewed beer. After graduating, they formulated a solid business plan which attached the attention of some investors which eventually led to the opening of New Holland Brewing in 1996. The site now includes the microbrewery, along with a distillery, speciality brew house, restaurant and a pub! Sounds like our kind of place Kev! Nudge nudge wink wink!


Colour: This drink pours jet black complete with a deep tan coloured head that dissipates in a flash. It's thick and dark, with deep claret shades when held up to the light.

Aroma: As a lady with a vast collection of perfumes, ill tackle this question like I would any scent. Top note: Cloves. Middle notes: Vanilla, milk, a tumbler full of grandad's scotch whiskey Christmas 2002. Base notes: Marmite.

Body: This beer is every bit as dark and delicious as I had hoped! Unlike other stouts, this one has a full bodied mouth feel and coats the back of the tongue nicely. Hmmmmm! A wave of alcohol comes through on the aftertaste, giving that warming feeling that is nice when you're tucked up indoors and its all grey and misty outside (like today). The beer has that pleasant champagne-like effervescence to it which helps it slide down nicely!

Taste:
 With a smoky and spicy depth to it, this beer is a real winner. Every sip should be savoured as to really appreciate that bourbon edge. Flavours of cloves and cinnamon combine with a more delicate and floral note when I swill it around my mouth. I couldn't help but think that this beer is a perfect match for GU chocolate soufflé - both of which would just melt in your mouth. Soon after polishing off about half the bottle, the marmitey richness tends to sharpen and the alcohol content becomes more apparent. This is a drink that you only need one bottle of, or maybe that's just me. It's density and richness puts it up there with one of the hits of this years Beer Festival! Fullers Vintage 2014.



For the latest news on reviews follow me on twitter @beefsbrewery or like me on Facebook at Beefsbrewery

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I certainly enjoy a good dark brew. Today has been drizzly and miserable out and I would like nothing better than a bottle of Dragon's Milk to make it better. Your review is quite detailed, how long have you been reviewing?

Beefsbrewery said...

Hi Bennett, thank you for your comment. I have been reviewing beers for two years now but this article is actually my girlfriends first attempt at one herself. I would like to think I taught her everything she knows but she's picked it up very quickly herself. Glad you enjoyed reading it. Cheers!

Post a Comment

 
;