Tuesday 4 March 2014

Maui Brewing Company Aloha B'ak'tun

Maui Brewing Company Aloha B'ak'tun
Style: Belgian Stout
Alcohol Content: 7%
From: Lahaina, Hawaii
Purchased from: The Beer Bouquet, Putney
http://mauibrewingco.com/

At some point in life every man will get the dreaded "man flu". This week was my turn to get the bug. My symptoms are as follows; Arms as heavy as lead, a nose running like a tap and a live heavy metal band playing in my skull. Just what you want over the weekend. After being drugged up to the eyeballs, I some how managed to stumble into the office. Of course one of the worst parts of being ill is that you can't drink. So as I dry out for a few days, I have to dig deep into my little black book to bring you some reviews that I have yet to write up. Here is one of them, Maui Brewing Aloha B'ak'tun.

The Maui Brewing formed in 2005 on the Hawaiian Island of Lahaina. In their nine year existence, the brewery has won numinous awards and opened a successful brewpub. I have always wanted to try their coconut porter, but alas, I can never get hold of it. So when I saw a limited edition Belgian stout by Maui, I snapped it up immediately.

Aloha B'ak'tun
Oh Aloha!
Colour: Pours a dark, oily black with a fluffy tan coloured head. This dissipates down to a few clumps of foam after a few minutes.

Aroma: Big, bold coffee and cocoa note cascade out of the glass like Niagara Falls. This is complemented by mild notes of cloves, cinnamon and spicy pepper. It's all very Christmassy I must say.

Body: Thick and oily like a traditional stout should be. The mouthfeel is incredibly similar to that of the fantastic Kernel 1890 export stout recipe that I reviewed last month. The coffee notes blend perfectly with the oily texture to coat the back of your throat. This ensure a slow, lingering drinking experience. So take your time and unwind.

Taste: This drink has an incredibly complex palate. So here goes! Massive hints of coffee and bitter dark chocolate will fill swam you taste buds. This is then swiftly cut through by a peppery, smoke filled aftertaste. This sensation comes from the addition of the hops, cinnamon and chipotle chillies. These additional ingredients add a great depth to the flavour and help to reinforce the sear quality of this brew. The only slight negative thing I could say is that there seemed to be a slight metallic/acidic aftertaste to this beer. Perhaps this comes from the the use of a can instead of a bottle. That being said, it's very rich and extremely satisfying, a perfect winter warmer.

Aloha B'ak'tun


For the latest news on reviews follow me on twitter @beefsbrewery or like me on Facebook at Beefsbrewery

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;