Friday 8 November 2013

SKA Brewing Steel Toe Milk Stout

SKA Brewing Steel Toe Milk Stout
Style: Milk Stout
Alcohol Content: 5.4%
From: Durango, Colorado, United States 
Purchased from: Real Ale Shop, Richmond-Upon-Thames

Ska Brewing Company is an American microbrewery founded in 1995 by Bill Graham and Dave Thibodeau in Durango, Colorado. Since 2008, the brewery has been located in its current Bodo Industrial Park location. This new brewery is eco-friendly as it runs completely on wind power and insulated by old pairs of jeans. Although Ska also uses bottles, it is known for being one of the few microbreweries that utilizes cans liberally. Now the subject of this review is thier Steel Toe Milk Stout, so lets get on with the tasting.

Just for the working Class?
Colour: This drink pours a thick ink black with a light tan coloured head. It looks a lot like an americano with a beautiful creme head. This head stays around rather briefly, which is quite unfortunate.

Aroma: Notes of coffee and liquorice rise from the glass to greet you. The smell reminds me of breakfast in Chicago, where a waitress would pour fresh percolated coffee into my cup. Sweet sugary notes then remind me of adding cream to my said coffee. Not to everyone's taste I'm sure but for me, a coffee is always welcome first thing in the morning.

Body: The mouthfeel is like that of a pint of milk, quite thick and clingy to the back of the throat. It will really cover all corners of your mouth.

Taste: Full of powerful coffee and chocolate notes to start with. There is definitely a sweetness that comes from the lactose (milk sugar). This, mixed with the dark roasted malts help to produce drink which does not feel very alcoholic at all. The flavours will mellow as the drink warms and the profile of this beer begins to remind me of the coffee and cream I mentioned earlier. Overall, for me this drink lacks the magic sparkle I desire from my milk stout (my favourite is the Bristol beer factory Milk Stout). However, it is very smooth and very easy to drink.

Perfect after a hard days work
During the time its taken for me to create this post, Ska have completely revamped their website. I have to say it does look very impressive. Check out this link above to see what all the fuss is about.

Simliar to: http://beefsbrewery.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/meantime-chocolate-porter.html
Different to:http://beefsbrewery.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/beavertown-8-ball-rye-ipa.html

For the latest news on reviews follow me on twitter @beefsbrewery or like me on Facebook at Beefsbrewery

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;