Monday 4 November 2013

Moor Beer Company Old Freddy Walker

Moor Beer Company Old Freddy Walker
Style: Old Ale
Alcohol content: 7.4%
From: Pitney, Somerset, England
Purchased from: Cost cutters, Somerton
http://moorbeer.co.uk/

As you may be aware from reading my previous blogs, i am a big fan of the West county. My father grew up not far from Yeovil, so the culture and history of the glorious west has always been in my blood. So any time i get a chance to review a beer from there, i literally jump at the chance!

The Moor Beer Company was formed in 1996 on a small dairy farm in Somerset. They originality started brewing beers that matched the local heritage of Somerset, but soon branched out upon the arrival of Justin and Maryann Hawke. Justin is a Californian native, and brought with him a tendency of fusing real ales with more more aggressively flavored beers from the United States. This has lead to an amazingly diverse range of mind boggling creations. As i always say, change is a good thing and i can not wait to try this brew. Perhaps their most famous beer is Old Freddy Walker which won Champion Winter Beer of Britain 2004. And thats the subject of this review, will Freddy live up to these high standards, let see!

Moor Magic?
Colour: I was not sure what to expect from a drink classed as an old ale. I wrongly assumed it would be a dark brown beer. To my surprise, the drink pours a thick black with a tan leather colour head. The colour helps to remind me that here in the UK, the nights are drawing in. Could this be the beer that I need long winter nights? The head dissipates to a light dusting of foam after a few minutes. 

Aroma: The aromas of this drink oozes out of the glass. There are notes of dark treacle mixed with dried fruit (sultanas, raisins, cherries and apricots). It's almost like a cake in a glass. This is going to be very interesting.

Body: This beer pours like a stout or porter. Very thick on both the pour, and in the mouth. However, it leaves no sticky residue in the mouth or on the back of your throat. This sensation is rather surprising to me, as I was expecting a rich coating on my throat after each sip. 

Taste: The first thing that will hit you about this drink will be the alcohol. If you are not prepared for it (like me), it will feel like a slap around face. Once I get past that initial shock, this ale really comes into its own. This ale is like a rich rum soaked fruit cake that you may get around Christmas time. There are also hints of dark chocolate covered cherries. The chocolate helps to create a slight bitter aftertaste rolled into a crisp bread finish. It took me almost and hour to drink this beer as it comes in a rather sizeable 660ml bottle. This ale is a real treat, which I would highly recommend to my dad for his ever growing Christmas beer list.

Christmas Pudding in A Glass!

For the latest news on reviews follow me on twitter @beefsbrewery or like me on Facebook at Beefsbrewery

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;