Tuesday 21 January 2014

Victory Prima Pils

Victory Prima Pils
Style: Pilsner
Alcohol Content: 5.3%
From: Downington, Pennsylvania, USA
Purchased From: Real Ale Shop, Richmond Upon Thames
http://www.victorybeer.com/

It’s been a while since I last reviewed a Pilsner and to be honest, I can’t even remember the last time I drank one. After hoppy IPA’s and dark malty Stouts, a crisp and dry Pilsner was a welcome break from the craft beer norm. So after a long internet search, I came across Victory Prima Pils, whom in a you tube video claim that their Pils, is the best Pilsner in the world; well let’s see about that. 

Founded in 1996 by Ron Barchet and Bill Covaleski in an old Pepperidge Farm bakery, Victory has grown considerably and evolved well outside the traditional small market of a beer-brewing restaurant. The brewery's first three beers were Victory Festbier, Brandywine Valley Lager (now Victory Lager), and HopDevil Ale. Initially they thought that the malt forward Victory Festbier would become their most popular beer. However, they soon realized that consumers craved very hoppy beers, such as HopDevil Ale, the most. The brewery uses an automated, energy recovery, 50 BBL system made by Rolec in OberBayern, Germany. Victory also brews using traditional methods where appropriate, such as using the energy intensive decoction process for production of certain German style lager beers.

Prima Pils
Its Prima Time!
Unfortunately, when I brought this Victory Pils from the Real Ale shop, it was already a couple of days out of date. So as soon brought it home I popped it in the fridge to try later that night. Will that affect the taste? I hope not.

Colour: Pours a rich straw yellow with a nice brilliant white head. This will dissipate after a few minutes but it's remnants lace the glass beautifully.

Aroma: Notes of grass mixed with fresh floral aromas dominate. These are under pinned with hints of pine and crisp soft water. In short it's like the Bavarian alps in a glass. Ah it takes me back to my holiday in Munich!

Body: Very light to drink as most Pilsners traditionally are. The drink is very heavily carbonated which is drastically different to the ales I have reviewed previously in this blog. Honestly, it makes a welcome change.

Taste: Normally, I am not of fan of any Pilsner that is not made in either the Czech Republic or Germany. Will this drink change my mind? Well the answer is most definitely a Yes! (Insert Daniel Bryan's pointing to the sky). The pale malts provide a lovely slightly sweet and crisp taste to start which is promptly followed by a long lingering, lemon bitter finish created from the blending of Hallertau and Saaz hops. Very nice indeed, but is it the best Pilsner in the world. Sorry Victory, but for me that honour is still held by Pilsner Urquell. Disagree? Let me know what you think by commenting below.
Prima Pils

Different to: http://beefsbrewery.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/ellezelloise-hercule-stout.html

For the latest news on reviews follow me on twitter @beefsbrewery or like me on Facebook at Beefsbrewery

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;