Tuesday 23 July 2013

Hogs Back HOP Garden Gold

Hogs Back HOP Garden Gold
Style: English Pale Ale
Alcohol Content: 4.4%
From: Tongham, Surrey, England, UK
Purchased From: Waitrose
http://www.hogsback.co.uk/

Hogs Back Brewery is a brewery in Tongham, Surrey, England, and named after the nearby Hog's Back ridge. The brewery started in 1992 as a joint venture between two friends, Martin Zillwood-Hunt and Anthony Stanton-Precious. Growing rapidly since then, it now produces 40,000 pints per week and supplies over 500 outlets.



A couple of weeks ago me and my old man paid a visit to the Hogs back brewery. We where the first to arrive so popped into the shop. Walking up the stairs I said to my dad, "oh we should pick up a case of their beers". I was left to eat my words as not only did they sell there own stock, but a truly amazing selection of world beers. I quickly made a list and then headed on the tour. The brewery is located in some old farm house so all the equipment has been packed into a relatively small area. The tour takes around an hour and a half and at a mere 12 pounds was well worth the money. We also got to sample (and I use this term very loosely as I think I drank around four pints worth) some of there beers. We tried their new Summer Ale, their stable TEA, HBB (hogs back bitter) and the subject of this review HOP Garden Gold.


Colour: When you pour this beer into a glass, you are presented with a pale brown liquid with no head. Now I always enjoy a nice head on a beer due to the fact that this is where the aromas are stored. So I'm quite disappointed that there is not one present in my glass. The beer is slightly hazy in the glass but you can still see though it.

Aroma: As there is no head, it's actually quite hard to work out what this drink smells of. You really have to get your head fully in the glass to work out what's in there. Sniffing deeply you can pick up notes of sweet molasses cut though with sharp lemon zest. There are also very, very faint floral notes.


Body: Being as the UK is experiencing temperatures of 32 degrees at the moment, this beer will slip down a treat after a stick day in the office. Very light and extremely refreshing which makes it a perfect drink for the summer time. There is a slight sticky mouth feel after each gulp.

Taste: Fresh from the fridge you are bombarded with fresh lemonade and lime notes. As the beer warms, these settle down to reveal deep rich sticky caramel notes mixed with crushed hob nobs. I'm always amazed as to how flavours develop as beer warms. There is also a slight acidic after taste which helps cleanse the palate after each sip.

Similar to: http://beefsbrewery.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/robinsons-dizzy-blonde.html
Different to: http://beefsbrewery.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/skinners-heligan-honey.html

 
For the latest news on reviews follow me on twitter @beefsbrewery

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;